Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mom's bread pudding recipe that she found in a magazine shortly after she and my dad were married. It is a wonderful comfort food for cool fall and winter days!
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 3 cups milk, scalded
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups bread, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger.
- Add scalded milk slowly to eggs; mix well.
- Add sugar-spice mixture and margarine. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Combine bread cubes (dried) and raisins in buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Pour custard mixture over; mix.
- Place casserole in larger pan with some water in the bottom of it.
- Bake one hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- To make topping combine sugar, water, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Bring to boil.
- After taking off heat, add vanilla.
DH requests this during holiday season and I am happy to oblige him. DS had this for the first time this Thanksgiving and loved it. Great custard-y style bread pudding, and we love the cinnamon topping, too! We have been known to put it over ice cream ;0)!