Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is great served with cream, caramel sauce or vanilla ice cream
- 9 cups bread, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 cups light cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Lightly grease with butter a 9 x 13 inch heatproof baking dish.
- Place the 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish into a larger roasting pan that has enough room to fill with water.
- With a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on high speed until thick and lemon colored
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Then beat in the melted and cooled butter and light cream.
- Place the bread cubes in the greased pan.
- Carefully pour the custard over the bread cubes until completely covered. If need be press down the bread cubes so they are covered with the custard.
- Into the second pan, carefully pour in enough hot water so that the water is halfway up sides of the 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread pudding from the water bath and cool slightly before serving.
- Can be served warm or cold with a dusting of confectioners' sugar and a dollop of softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.