Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mom's recipe. Delicious!!!! I am posting a Vanilla Sauce (Vanilla Sauce) to go with this. Enjoy!
Make and share this Bread Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- Cover raisins with brandy or water.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine.
- Break up bread, set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of this mixture for topping.
- Pour melted margarine on before you toss the bread crumbs. Your sugar mixture will stick better that way.
- Toss bread with remaining sugar mixture.
- Place 1/2 of bread mixture in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Drain raisins, place 1/2 raisins over bread crumbs.
- Repeat layers.
- Combine egg, salt, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Beat for 1 minute.
- Add milk slowly.
- Pour over mix in dish.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved sugar mix on top.
- Bake at 325F for 45 to 50 minutes.
This recipe was fabulous! However, I did not discard the burbon that the raisins soaked in. I made a "Brandy" sauce:halfstick of melted butter, 1 C sugar and 1 1/2 cup of whipping cream-melt in double boiler. Add 2 TBSP whisky and serve over the bread pudding. Yummy!
By far the best bread pudding I've ever eaten! There is no need for a vanilla sauce to cover up this amazing flavor! If you don't want to spend time scalding the milk, add an extra 15 minutes to the baking time and it will turn out perfect.
Holy sh*t! GRANDMA!??? IS THAT YOU!??? Seriously though, Rhonda, this was a major hit in my household. I made it with the vanilla sauce and it was fantastic. Quick. Easy. Comforting. Warm and smooth. Wow, it was straight out of my grandma's kitchen!