Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A snack that is simple to make and good to eat at tea time
- 4 cups bread, crusts removed and diced
- 1 cup peas, cooked (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, roasted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 10 -15 curry leaves
- 2 -3 whole red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon green chili, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar (to taste) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh coconut, grated (optional)
- lemon wedge (to garnish)
- Heat the oil and add the asafoetida, mustard, curry leaves and the whole red chillies.
- When seeds begin to splutter, add peas, peanuts, haldi and sugar mix around a little.
- Add salt and bread and mix well.
- Add some water and saute till mixed and heated through.
- Shut off the heat, and mix in the green chillies, lemon juice and half of the coriander.
- Transfer on to a serving dish, garnish with the coconut and the rest of the coriander and lemon wedges, and serve.
Was simply delicious!! Made it for dinner was a hit with everyone. I used stale Rye bread instead of reg.white bread. Saved me cooking a meal....now isnt that what we like! LOL. Thanks Fay!
WOOOOOOWEEEEE! This is VERY HOT and SPIIIICY! I halved the recipe and used two major red chilies, and used 1 1/2 green chilies. I did everything as stated except that I used cashew nuts instead of peanuts, and added a Tablespoon of minced onion. This is absolutely delicious! We will be making this again (with more water/juice on the side for cooling down the fire in our mouths!!! hahaha). Thanks for this recipe, Fay!!! :D It's SO good!