Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a Scandinavian recipe by Tina Nordstrom ("New Scandinavian Cooking"). You mix the dry ingredients at home and take it with you hiking or wherever. Then you mix it with water, milk, or buttermilk and butter and cook over an open flame. It would also be fun in your backyard.
Bread on a stick
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 4 sausages (spicy or use hotdogs)
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 slices cheese
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup pickle, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the bread with butter until it is crumbly; stir in the liquid of your choice until you get a doughy consistency.
- Separate the dough into 4 pieces and roll it into a sausage shape.
- Now mix all the ingredients for the tartar sauce.
- To finish: Wrap a slice of bacon and cheese around each spicy sausage; twist the dough around the sausage and attach the whole thing to a stick by spearing the stick through the dough and the sausage.
- Cook over a fire, but be careful not to get too close or your sausage will burst before it is done cooking.