Recipe by Mysterygirl
This unusual bread actually comes from Best of the Best from Georgia, but they call it Bread of Barbados.
Top Review by Dixie from Kansas
My whole family loved this recipe. The almonds are key. We used slivered (blanched) almonds because that is what we had on hand. I made no other changes other than a bit of cinnamon. I also may have made a few of the measurements heaping. This is a good recipe! It is not very sweet but it is called bread for a reason I suspect. We will be making this again. Thanks Mysterygirl!!
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ground baking chocolate
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana, ripe
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine almonds with flour, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cream butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time and then beat in the mashed bananas.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the almond mixture.
- Spoon into well-greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until well done.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Cool before slicing.
- To serve, cut thin slices.
- Spread, if you wish, with soft butter or cream cheese.