Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my "when I'm home all day" recipe. I use the dough cycle and bake it in 2 loaf pans but you can just use the whole wheat cycle and bake it in the machine as well. I love this bread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Add ingredients in the order given to bread machine.
- Set on dough cycle if baking in oven, otherwise set on whole wheat/2 lb.
- After dough cycle is done remove dough from pan and flour a work surface lightly. Flour the top surface of the dough.
- Punch down the dough, rolling it into a length equal to 2 greased loaf pans. This might take some work, the dough holds a lot of air. Squeeze and roll the air bubbles out.
- When you have a roll double the length of of a pan cut it in half and place in the greased pans. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- Rising usually takes about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake loaves for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. Turn out onto a rack and cool.
This is a really nice loaf of bread. The crumb is very even and tender, the crust a nice light golden brown. The texture is just perfect for sandwiches. I like the touch of sweetness that the sugar adds to this. The dough completely filled my bread machine, almost pushing the lid off at the very end of the cycle. I made in two loaf pans and baked after rising in a warm oven for about 40 minutes. This makes more than I need at once, but it's nice to have a loaf to share with a friend, too!
Thie turned out beautifully and was great for sandwiches. The only mistake I made was I didn't see that it supposed to make 2 loaves so I had one really big loaf. I also added 1 tablespoon wheat gluten to lighten it a bit. This is a good sandwich bread. I may try to do two loaves next time but I kinda like the really big loaf....the kids got a kick out of it.....the one downside to the really big loaf is that you have to cut the slice in half to fit it in the toaster.
Can't believe my tastebuds! I have found a new wheat bread recipe! loved the directions that included oven times because while I started this out in the breadmaker, it overflowed my machine, so I put it into two long loaf pans and it made the most light, but healthy bread I have made in a long time. Thank you so much!