Recipe by Cookin-jo
This is my "when I'm home all day" recipe. I use the dough cycle and bake it in 2 loaf pans but you can just use the whole wheat cycle and bake it in the machine as well. I love this bread.
Top Review by IngridH
This is a really nice loaf of bread. The crumb is very even and tender, the crust a nice light golden brown. The texture is just perfect for sandwiches. I like the touch of sweetness that the sugar adds to this. The dough completely filled my bread machine, almost pushing the lid off at the very end of the cycle. I made in two loaf pans and baked after rising in a warm oven for about 40 minutes. This makes more than I need at once, but it's nice to have a loaf to share with a friend, too!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients in the order given to bread machine.
- Set on dough cycle if baking in oven, otherwise set on whole wheat/2 lb.
- After dough cycle is done remove dough from pan and flour a work surface lightly. Flour the top surface of the dough.
- Punch down the dough, rolling it into a length equal to 2 greased loaf pans. This might take some work, the dough holds a lot of air. Squeeze and roll the air bubbles out.
- When you have a roll double the length of of a pan cut it in half and place in the greased pans. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- Rising usually takes about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake loaves for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned. Turn out onto a rack and cool.