Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Makes one loaf. Makes your house smell like a bakery. Coffee suggested to serve with. :) This is the recipe i used to make a spelt loaf today. The aroma of this bread cooking is so wonderful, especially on a winter evening. It's easy to add seeds or nuts as you like (I did) and what I love is that it's kneaded in the bread machine. Use as the bread for a Reuben sandwich. Or serve toasted stuffed with rondele and hot sauerkraut for an unbelievably tasty and filling lunch. Add some beef bacon if you don't mind mixing meat and dairy for a 5 star sandwich. I'll tweak it as I find better methods, but for now enjoy this as-is. I used other recipes and flour properties to gauge how to bake up a soft loaf and it turned out really really well in my opinion. The husband gives it 5 stars :D
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4-6 bits
- 3 cups spelt flour, organic
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed light brown
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- flax seed
- sunflower seeds, raw
- 1⁄2 cup spelt flour, for kneading and shaping
- Insert all items into bread machine starting with the first listed ingredient and ending with the yeast or seeds/nuts. Keep the extra spelt for kneading it into the loaf shape of your choice.
- Set machine to dough cycle (1.5 hours for me).
- When it finishes, powder your hands with the extra spelt flour and grab the dough.
- Shape it into a loaf shape, using extra spelt as necessary to shape.
- Place in a greased loaf pan.
- Turn your oven to the lowest temperature for two minutes. Then shut it off and place your loaf in there.
- Let rise for about 35 minutes. It'll maybe not look too tall, but don't worry. It should have at least grown by 50%.
- Turn oven on to 375 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes (don't worry about preheat time. Those 8 minutes are included when I did it).
- Bread should be pretty much done, but let it slide out of loaf pan and cook on wire rack in oven for 10 more minutes at 300 degrees.
- When done, let it cool for ten minutes. You can avoid the urge to start eating by getting coffee going.
- Enjoy, with or without coffee.