Recipe by Bread 'n Butter
This is a recipe I found on Oprah's website. My DH loves it! The recipe is for cooking in a bread machine, but I do it the conventional oven method since my bread machine only makes small loaves.
- 1⁄2 lb dark turkey meat
- 1⁄2 lb white turkey meat
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup beer
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients (reserving a few tablespoons of diced tomatoes) and knead them in to a loaf.
- Place in the bread pan, and place the pan in the bread machine.
- Cover the top of the meatloaf with the remaining diced tomatoes (you can substitute ketchup).
- Cook for 70 minutes or until done. Remove the pan from the bread machine and drain off any liquid. Be careful, as the liquid will be very hot.
- Let the meatloaf settle for several minutes, then remove it from the bread pan.
- Recommended technique: Make sure that your bread machine has a "Manual" or "Cook only" cycle. Do not attempt this recipe in a bread machine that does not have one. As an alternative, you can make this recipe in a loaf pan in a 350º oven for about an hour.
- Recommended technique: It's important to have a mixture of white and dark meat, as this provides moisture and texture. A meatloaf with all white meat will be dry.