20 hrs 25 mins
Chef #1429901's Note:
These are wonderful "billowy cinnamon rolls" as they are described on the site with the original recipe, thefreshbread.com. I adapted the recipe for a smaller yield that would fit into a 2-pound bread machine and with standard American home kitchen measurements. I also adapted the recipe for my family's tastes: I added more cinnamon, plus cinnamon oil to the filling to give it more cinnamon bite.. I also added my recipe for cream cheese frosting with a very small amount of lemon juice. This gives a tang to the frosting without tasting lemony..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup sourdough starter (no substitute)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 tablespoon honey or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or 3/4 cup sour cream or 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (DO NOT substitute SAF or instant yeast)
- 1 tablespoon dough enhancer
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar or 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon natural cinnamon oil, to taste
- 1START THIS RECIPE AT LEAST 36 HOURS BEFORE BAKING. MAKES 18 1 X 1-1/2" ROLLS.
- 2Place sourdough starter, 3/4 cup water and 1-1/4 cups flour in bread machine; run on dough cycle. Set aside starter mixture, still in bread machine, until mixture is doubled (about 2 to 4 hours, depending on how fast your starter is). Add remaining ingredients; run through dough cycle again. Dough will be very soft and sticky. Transfer dough to a well-greased Pyrex bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap (I use cooking spray to grease bowl and plastic wrap). Chill until doubled, about 8 hours to overnight; turn dough over 3 times to prevent the top of the dough from forming a hard crust.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare FILLING: cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add cinnamon and cinnamon oil to taste; blend until smooth. The cinnamon oil provides more "bite" to filling, which my family likes; omit it if you don't like strong cinnamon flavor.
- 4Divide dough in half (about 1.3 pounds per portion); place one portion, covered with plastic, back in the refrigerator. Place the other portion of dough on a lightly floured surface and form it into a 10" x 14" rectangle by lightly rolling to prevent developing the gluten more than necessary. Spread dough with half of the filling, leaving a 1" margin without filling on a 14" side. Roll the dough up starting at the 14" with filling towards the 14" side with the 1" margin; pinch seam firmly to close. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 5With a serrated kinife, cut into 9 x 1-1/2" slices. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 6Place slices into greased 13" x 9" pan, or divide among 3 greased 9" round cake pans (6 rolls per pan). Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours (overnight).
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees and move rack to center of oven. Bake rolls directly from the refrigerator until light golden brown, 25-35 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- 8Meanwhile, make FROSTING: cream butter and cream cheese until smooth; add powdered sugar gradually, mixing until smooth. Add vanilla and lemon juice; blend well.
- 9Cool rolls on racks for 10 minutes. Add dollops of frosting over the rolls; cool another 10 minutes, then spread frosting evenly.
- 10Try to cool until frosting sets, about 15 minutes, but my family won't wait that long before digging in!
- 11Makes 18 1-1/2" rolls.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Machine Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1292.2
- Calories from Fat 482
- Total Fat 53.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.2 g
- Cholesterol 175.9 mg
- Sodium 521.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 187.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 99.9 g
- Protein 16.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: