Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 30 mins
These buttery soft rolls flavored with fresh onion are the perfect base for pulled pork, BBQ, smoked turkey or meatloaf sandwiches!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 cup warm milk (about 110 degrees)
- 3 tablespoons warm water (as needed)
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Over medium-low heat, slowly sweat the diced onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Place the milk, water, butter, salt, sugar, onion powder, sauteed onion (reserving 1/4 cup), rolled oats, flour and yeast into the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer, keeping yeast away from liquids and sugar. Select the Dough cycle, and press Start.
- Add warm water by the tablespoon as needed for dough to moisten and combine.
- When the cycle has completed, remove the dough from the machine, and knead on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 10 equal pieces and form into balls. Gently flatten the balls and shape into ovals or discs, to your preference. Place on a lightly buttered baking sheet, and cover loosely with a towel. Set in a draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together the egg white and water in a cup. Brush over the tops of the risen rolls, and sprinkle with remaining onion.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown.