Recipe by apinchofcharacter
These buttery soft rolls flavored with fresh onion are the perfect base for pulled pork, BBQ, smoked turkey or meatloaf sandwiches!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 cup warm milk (about 110 degrees)
- 3 tablespoons warm water (as needed)
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium-low heat, slowly sweat the diced onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Place the milk, water, butter, salt, sugar, onion powder, sauteed onion (reserving 1/4 cup), rolled oats, flour and yeast into the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer, keeping yeast away from liquids and sugar. Select the Dough cycle, and press Start.
- Add warm water by the tablespoon as needed for dough to moisten and combine.
- When the cycle has completed, remove the dough from the machine, and knead on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 10 equal pieces and form into balls. Gently flatten the balls and shape into ovals or discs, to your preference. Place on a lightly buttered baking sheet, and cover loosely with a towel. Set in a draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together the egg white and water in a cup. Brush over the tops of the risen rolls, and sprinkle with remaining onion.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown.