Recipe by BoxerRebellion
I was looking for a recipe for naan that I could make in the breadmaker... I took a highly rated recipe from allrecipes and modified it. It's a bit of a work in progress, but it is pretty good. *Note* I added more flour to the recipe and took out a little water... I used to live in the mountains, and in the desert, and had to add tons of water to everything. It's still kind of sticky when you pull it out, but I find it's easier to add flour than water once the dough is done so I tend to err on the doughy side.
Top Review by Bippie
I had a really hard time with this dough. I would say I added an extra 1 cup of flour while it was in the bread machine. The dough was still really sticky when I took it out and I had to keep flouring the balls every time I touched one. After a rise in the oven, they were quite stretchy and didn't want to roll with my rolling pin, so I justed pulled them as flat as I could get them. They did brown nicely, but were more chewy than crisp which was fine, because my husband likes chewy naan. I would say this is still a work in progress, but it's got great potential.
- 1 teaspoon bread machine quick-acting active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients to bread machine in order suggested by manufacturer.
- Remove bread after kneading cycle, then divide into pieces about the size of a golf ball. Roll into ball shape, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes (or until doubled).
- During second rising, heat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. (Do as many as you can fit on your grill at once.).
- If you want to use the butter and garlic, let the garlic soak in the butter and brush uncooked side with butter before turning over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.