Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Moravian lovefeast bread is tradionally made in the shape of sweet rolls and served after church services on Christmas Eve. This sweet bread is great for breakfast or coffee.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup plain mashed potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup water, plus
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 large egg
- All ingredients must be at room temperature.
- Add ingredients in the order specified in your bread machine owner's manual.
- Set bread machine on standard bread making setting.
- Select crust light.
Lovely taste and texture to this bread. I had the opposite problem that Annacia did - my dough was very soft, and while I added extra flour, I was hesitant to add much more. So I ended up with a soft dough that had to be baked in a loaf pan. I would have liked to make it as rolls. I used fresh milk as I had no powder and let the orange zest steep in the milk a while. It rose beautifully and resulted in a very good looking loaf. I will play with this to try to achieve rolls.
I made this into dinner buns and everyone loved the flavor . It's a bread machine recipe so, of course, it's very simple to make. My single drawback is that they turned out very dense. Not at all gummy or too moist just dense and heavy. This might have been my fault, I normally use all purpose four and when a recipe asks for bread flour I'll add a tsp of gluten to each cup of flour. This usually works very well. Perhaps this would have better by just using the AP alone? Also I needed to add about 1/4 cup more water to get a dough that soft enough to work in the machine.