3 hrs 15 mins
I wanted some dark rye bread and didin't have any rye flour so I decided to make it using whole wheat flour. Here is the resulting recipe. It makes a dark loaf that looks like and tastes like dark rye. Most of the flavor comes from the caraway seeds. It is really good for sandwiches and has a crumb like honey wheat bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons molasses (or dark corn syrup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast (or 1 packet)
- 1Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by your bread machine manual.
- 2Select the BASIC or WHITE BREAD cycle, 1 1/2 pounds and press START.
- 3Monitor the first few minutes of kneading. If necessary to form a smooth, non-stick dough ball, add more flour or water a tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- 4Makes one 1 1/2 lb loaf.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Machine Mock Dark Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.7
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 119.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 2.8 g