Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I wanted some dark rye bread and didin't have any rye flour so I decided to make it using whole wheat flour. Here is the resulting recipe. It makes a dark loaf that looks like and tastes like dark rye. Most of the flavor comes from the caraway seeds. It is really good for sandwiches and has a crumb like honey wheat bread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons molasses (or dark corn syrup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast (or 1 packet)
- Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by your bread machine manual.
- Select the BASIC or WHITE BREAD cycle, 1 1/2 pounds and press START.
- Monitor the first few minutes of kneading. If necessary to form a smooth, non-stick dough ball, add more flour or water a tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- Makes one 1 1/2 lb loaf.