Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a modified Italian Easter bread made with a bread machine. Saves time, kneading, etc. The same ingredients are used but simplified by using a bread machine. This was a recipe handed down by my grandmother.
- 59.14 ml water, - 110degrees
- 158.51 ml milk, - 110dregrees
- 177.44 ml softened butter
- 158.51 ml granulated sugar
- 3.69 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- juice of one lemons or 4.92 ml butter flavoring, as desired
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1182.95 ml unbleached flour
- 11.09 ml yeast
- colored raw egg
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 59.14 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- Add in order given above to bread machine. Process for dough cycle. Roll and shape into braided rings. Let rise. Bake at 340 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- This bread can also have colored raw eggs put in the braids before baking. They will cook to hard boiled egg stage. After baking, cool and frost with 2 cups powdered sugar mixed with approximately 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, then sprinkle with non-pareils.
I have been looking for a recipe like this since I got my bread machine. I have diffculty raising bread, unless my mother was around, and she wouldl magically stand there beside me doing her novinas. But she has now has passed and I am unable to raise bread. However, when I used this recipe; WOW! The bread came out perfect!!!! Thank you for sharing.
Best Easter bread! Been trying a new recipe every year and my search is done! Finally an Easter bread with the proper amount of sweetness. It took a little longer to rise. Not sure why...had them by my wood stove. That usually makes magic happen. After two hours, I put them in the oven and they were beautiful. Family loved it!
This was my second attempt at using the bread machine that sat on a shelf for about 10 years. Although not quite up to my Italian wife's standards, it was quite good. My wife is now planning to try it for her 16 or so loaves of Easter bread.