1/1 Photo of Bread Machine Hot Cross Spice Buns
2 hrs 20 mins
I found a variation of this recipe on another website, but the original did not contain nearly as many spices or flavorings. I also prefer to use my Cinnamon Bun Icing on top of these. If you do not have nonfat dry milk powder, you may use 3/4 cup low-fat or nonfat milk, warmed to lukewarm in place of the water and powdered milk. These are lightly spiced, and if you use the cloves, they will have a darker color. Not very sweet, the icing provides most of the sweetness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water (110 F)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs, separated, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 3/4 cup dried currants or 3/4 cup sultanas or 3/4 cup raisins
- 3 cups bread flour or 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4-1/2 cup white icing, to decorate tops
- 1NOTE: Consult your bread machine to determine whether or not the wet or dry ingredients need to go in first; I have listed the ingredients assuming wet first, ending with yeast; simply go in reverse, starting with yeast and work backwards to lukewarm water if your manual says to add dry first.
- 2Place lukewarm water, milk powder, butter pieces, both egg whites and just 1 of the eggs yolks, vanilla, almond flavoring, salt, sugar, spices, zests, and fruit in order in your machine.
- 3Add 3 level cups of flour the the center of your pan and then make a small well in the flour; Add yeast to that well.
- 4Select dough cycle on your machine.
- 5After 5 minutes, take a peek in your machine at the dough, adding more water or flour if needed, adding 1 Tbsp of either at a time (or more) (this will vary depending on the humidity of the day).
- 6When dough cycle has completed, remove dough from machine and punch down on a floured surface; dough will be a bit sticky at this point.
- 7Cover with a damp towel and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- 8Have ready a greased 9x13" pan.
- 9Roll dough into 12 large balls and place in the pan; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (it is ok if dough balls touch as they rise); this may take 45 min- 1 hour.
- 10One dough has risen,remove cover,and mix your remaining egg yolk with 2 Tbsp water and brush over the dough balls.
- 11Bake in a preheated 375 F oven (190 C) for 20 minutes.
- 12Remove from pan immediately and let cool on wire racks.
- 13When fully cooled, pipe white icing of your choice in the shape of crosses atop each bun.
- 14Or, if you prefer warm buns, leave off the icing and either serve right away or gently reheat buns on the regular oven or toaster oven, then ice individual buns at the table (the icing will melt however).
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Machine Hot Cross Spice Buns
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.9
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 90.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: