Recipe by East Wind Goddess
A little bit of citrus flavor and a little fruity (it IS California style!), these are great, dense buns and also make a wonderful breakfast toast all year long. I use a combination spice mix called Sweet Spice from Santa Fe Seasons in place of the separate cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in this recipe I've had for some time, origin unknown.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dates (or golden raisins)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup citron
- 1⁄4 cup candied orange peel
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Grease 2 baking sheets lightly.
- Heat the brandy and water together until warm.
- Pour over the combined dried fruits. Set aside.
- Measure all dough ingredients except dried fruit into baking pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Insert the baking pan into the oven chamber. Select the Dough Cycle. Add drained dried fruit at the "add ingredients" signal.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured board; cover with a large bowl and let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 24 portions. Roll each into a ball, about the size of a golf ball or a bit bigger. Place buns at least 2" apart on prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place for 30 to 45 minutes or until buns double in volume.
- Prepare glaze: In a bowl, beat together glaze ingredients; brush on dough. Make two 1/4" deep cuts in the shape of a cross on the top of each bun.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18 minutes or until buns sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Mix the frosting ingredients together. Use a pastry bag and tip to pipe on icing along the cross.
- Preparation time includes rising time.