Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 22 mins
This came from my bread machine recipe book. I have made it a number of times and it comes out lovely. Fantastic as a breakfast toasted and buttered! Yum! I have altered the recipe slightly so that it is compatible with all of you. An Australian tablespoon = 4 tsp (20ml), so I have converted all measurements to teaspoons to avoid confusion. If you have a sweet bread cycle I'd recommend using that, but otherwise I'm pretty sure ordinary would work fine. I have frozen slices in plastic bags, so I always have some on hand if I get a craving. Nutella makes a good spread for this.
- 270 ml water
- 29.57 ml butter or 29.57 ml oil
- 7.39 ml salt
- 29.57 ml brown sugar
- 450 g white bread flour (3 cups)
- 29.57 ml powdered milk
- 14.78 ml ground mixed spice
- 9.85 ml yeast
- 118.29 ml mixed dried fruit (I use sultanas and raisins, but you could use commercial mixed fruit or currants)
- 44.37 ml water (optional)
- 29.57 ml sugar (optional)
- 14.78 ml gelatin (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients except the fruit in the order recommended by your manufacturer.
- If you have a nuts dispenser place the fruit in there.
- Otherwise add the fruit when the 2nd knead has 8 minutes to go.
- If using the glaze, combine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan over a heat until the sugar and gelatine has dissolved.
- Use the pause function if you have one, at fifteen minutes into the baking cycle, brush glaze over loaf.
Our family ate this whole loaf for breakfast. Even my 2 year old ejoyed it. I cooked this on rapid cycle as I was late putting it on and didn't want to wait 3 1/2 hours for it to cook. I also set my machine for a 1 1/2 pound loaf. I didn't add the glaze and found it great without it. Thanks Claire for an excellent recipe that I will use alot.
This fruit loaf recipe tastes fantastic, I put half a cup of fruit in as the recipe states but feel like it needs more fruit at least 3/4 or a full cup, will be making again!
Worked well in the breadmaker, added a handful of walnuts too, just delicious and moist. Did not have all spice so added cinnamon which was good too, will reduce salt next time though to one teaspoon. Well done!!!