Cook3 hrs 22 mins
This came from my bread machine recipe book. I have made it a number of times and it comes out lovely. Fantastic as a breakfast toasted and buttered! Yum! I have altered the recipe slightly so that it is compatible with all of you. An Australian tablespoon = 4 tsp (20ml), so I have converted all measurements to teaspoons to avoid confusion. If you have a sweet bread cycle I'd recommend using that, but otherwise I'm pretty sure ordinary would work fine. I have frozen slices in plastic bags, so I always have some on hand if I get a craving. Nutella makes a good spread for this.
- 270 ml water
- 6 teaspoons butter or 6 teaspoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons brown sugar
- 450 g white bread flour (3 cups)
- 6 teaspoons powdered milk
- 3 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup mixed dried fruit (I use sultanas and raisins, but you could use commercial mixed fruit or currants)
- 3 tablespoons water (optional)
- 6 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 3 teaspoons gelatin (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients except the fruit in the order recommended by your manufacturer.
- If you have a nuts dispenser place the fruit in there.
- Otherwise add the fruit when the 2nd knead has 8 minutes to go.
- If using the glaze, combine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan over a heat until the sugar and gelatine has dissolved.
- Use the pause function if you have one, at fifteen minutes into the baking cycle, brush glaze over loaf.
Our family ate this whole loaf for breakfast. Even my 2 year old ejoyed it. I cooked this on rapid cycle as I was late putting it on and didn't want to wait 3 1/2 hours for it to cook. I also set my machine for a 1 1/2 pound loaf. I didn't add the glaze and found it great without it. Thanks Claire for an excellent recipe that I will use alot.
Worked well in the breadmaker, added a handful of walnuts too, just delicious and moist. Did not have all spice so added cinnamon which was good too, will reduce salt next time though to one teaspoon. Well done!!!
took me 3 goes to get this recipe right (I kept making a mistake), once I did.. I got one piece! my family got the rest.. and it went within half an hour! everyone loved it.