When you get a bread maker you usually get a cookbook to go with it....well this recipe comes from the cookbook my MIL received with her bread maker. I have not tried them yet, but I will be soon. "The longer the dough is refrigerated before the final shaping, the flakier the croissants will be." Cooking time does include chilling time.
- Add ingredients in the order recommended for your bread machine. Use the DOUGH cycle.
- When done, remove from bread machine pan and transfer to a greased bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- With the long side towards you, cover 2/3 of the dough with the thin slices of butter.
- Fold UNBUTTERED third of dough over the center buttered third, then fold again - over the remaining buttered third.
- Seal ends and long side of dough. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface with the short side towards you. Roll out into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Fold in thirds, folding from end to end. Place back onto greased cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. The longer the refrigeration time the flakier the croissants.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface, with short side towards you. Roll out into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Cut rectangle into thirds, both crosswise and lengthwise. Then cut each section in half diagonally to form 18 triangles.
- Roll each triangle up starting at wide end to form crescent shape.
- Place croissants on greased cookie sheet, curving ends so they almost touch.
- Brush or spray lightly with water. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30-50 min or until double in size.
- Brush croissants with slightly beaten egg white. Bake in preheated 375° oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.