Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is my favorite bread machine challah recipe. It makes a smaller loaf, but I love the flavor of it.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons margarine, cut up
- 3 cups bread flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add the water, the egg, the margarine, flour, sugar, salt& yeast to bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use white or sweet bread cycle.
- Remove bread from baking pan after 10 minutes, then finish cooling on a rack.
Have made this several times. Family loves it. Use bread machine on dough cycle and then bake in oven in loaf pan. Doesn't last long at our house.
on June11, 2012
I give 5 stars for the Excellent flavour and texture. I used the machine to make the dough and then braid it .. Let it rise for 35-40 mins . Egg wash and bake at 350F for 25 mins
This is an excellent, easy recipe. I used the machine to make the dough, then formed it into a loaf, let it rise again and baked it at 350F for 25 minutes. I cut back the salt to 1 tsp. due to my sodium restrictions. The dough feels satiny and the resulting bread is very high rising, with a fine, moist texture. The flavor isn't quite challah, but that may be easy to fix by adding an egg yolk to the whole egg. I highly recommend this recipe. Thanks for posting.