Recipe by Mrsspeevs
I pretty much developed this recipe on my own. I fiddled and tweaked for months until I got it just right. It is just scrumptious.
Top Review by Ms.KittyBiddles
This is a very good tasting bread and easy to make. The only negative I have to say is that no-way does it make 4-5 loaves of bread. (did I misunderstand something?). The 3.5 c of flour are what is, typically, used to make 1-2 medium-sized loaves of bread The dough produced by this recipe yielded 2 smallish loaves of challah for me. Still delicious, though.
- 1 cup water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, and
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds (optional) or poppy seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in the bread machine in the order required by your machine and set it for dough cycle.
- After the dough cycle finishes, take out the dough and divide into 4-5 pieces.
- Divide each piece into 3-6 ropes and braid to make 4-5 challahs.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place challahs on a lined baking sheet and cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.