Cook1 hr 30 mins
I pretty much developed this recipe on my own. I fiddled and tweaked for months until I got it just right. It is just scrumptious.
- Place all ingredients in the bread machine in the order required by your machine and set it for dough cycle.
- After the dough cycle finishes, take out the dough and divide into 4-5 pieces.
- Divide each piece into 3-6 ropes and braid to make 4-5 challahs.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place challahs on a lined baking sheet and cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
This is a very good tasting bread and easy to make. The only negative I have to say is that no-way does it make 4-5 loaves of bread. (did I misunderstand something?). The 3.5 c of flour are what is, typically, used to make 1-2 medium-sized loaves of bread The dough produced by this recipe yielded 2 smallish loaves of challah for me. Still delicious, though.
Ive made this recipe literally every week for the past 3 months and absolutely would never use another challah recipe. This one is so easy and has been made it so many times that I dont even have to look up the ingredients anymore. We really love it, it is super moist and kind of cake like. Just delicious. Thanks so much!
Super moist and almost cake-like in texture and sweetness. Huge hit with my family and guests and a great option for weeks when I don't want to make my usual batch of 6 loaves.