2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Roscon de Reyes is a Spanish Three Kings cake made at Ephiphany (5th January). I have several different recipes so decided to post them all and let you choose which one suits you best. This recipe is posted per a request by a member and I will make it as soon as I can. If you make it before I do then I would appreciate your feedback. Cooking time includes rising time. Thanks! Epiphany, celebrated in European countries, marks the coming of the wise men who brought gifts to the Christ Child. Epiphany is also called Little Christmas or the Twelfth Night, and is celebrated January 6, twelve nights after Christmas. People from all of the world celebrate Epiphany by exchanging gifts and feasting. A very popular custom that is still celebrated is the making of some kind of "King's Cake" in honor of the three kings. In ancient times in Russia, before Christian Easter was celebrated, the Spring Festival used the round blini, a thick, fried-flour concoction, "as a symbol of the sun's return after the long winter darkness," according to Ermann. The Spanish give gifts on Twelfth Night instead of Christmas, separating the birth of Christ from the gift giving, and in Italy the old woman who brings gifts comes on Epiphany, not Christmas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 5 large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 -6 tablespoons sugar (use larger amount for king cake)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground dried lemon peel
- 3 1/2 teaspoons saf yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten or 1 tablespoon bread enhancer
- 4 tablespoons butter (optional) or 4 tablespoons margarine, melted (optional)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour or 1/4 cup oatmeal
Light Lemon glaze
- 1The Dough.
- 2This makes a high-rising, soft but very springy dough. I use the sweet bread, not the dough setting, because it requires two full kneadings and risings before shaping. I take the dough out just before the baking cycle starts, punch it down and flatten it into a long 1" thick, 5" wide rectangle, sprinkle it with the cinnamon streusel or other filling and roll it up, shaping the long roll on a buttered cookie sheet.
- 3I pinch the ends together to make a full circle. Let rise in a warm place covered by a damp towel for about 50 minutes, then place in a cold oven, turn on to 375 degrees, and bake about 45 minutes until well risen and a deep golden brown.
- 4The filling: After it cools, glaze generously with a thin, lemony sugar glaze, then sprinkle with colored sugars in stripes. Use a traditional boiled white frosting with 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water and two egg whites, flavored with lemon, butter and vanilla, or try the light lemon glaze.
- 5If making the Light lemon glaze. Mix until mixture is smooth and can be drizzled onto the cake. A boiled icing recipe with two cups of sugar is low fat and a good alternative.
- 6Color sugar crystals (green, purple) by working in a few drops of food coloring and add gold dragées. As soon as the glaze is poured, sprinkle colored stripes on the glaze.
- 7A tiny china or plastic baby doll or a red bean is inserted underneath before glazing- I put mine in AFTER I bake the roll!
- 8Store the king cakecovered at room temperature- it is really a bread, and dries out in the refrigerator. I use a foodsafe plastic trash bag (small white Glad).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread Machine Brioche Dough /Spanish Roscón De Reyes
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.5
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 49.1 mg
- Sodium 237.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 28.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten