Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a hearty bread that is low in fat and a good source of iron and fiber. To achieve the best results make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Recipe adapted from KraftFood's website.
- 1 cup water, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups grain cereal, POST SELECTS GREAT GRAINS
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Add all ingredients in exact order listed and prepare dough according to your bread machines manufacturer's directions.
- For best results, use light crust or sweet dough setting if available.
I made this last night so we would have breakfast for the rest of the week. I followed the directions exactly, except I added truvia instead of brown sugar and I put in about 3 dozen blueberries. I came out light and tasty! My husband loved it with some almond butter. I would have prefered it was a bit sweeter, so next time I may add some more truvia.
This made a lovely dense bread. My fiance found it a bit too heavy for sandwiches but I thought it made wonderful toast. I didn't have any grain cereal on hand so I used quick oats and instead of butter I use olive oil in my bread recipes. Delicious recipe.... thank you :)
Smells wonderful while baking! I used some of the grandkids' strawberry applesauce _shhhhh ... don't tell'em_ and Post Great Grains crunchy pecan variety cereal. The loaf is pretty dense and I like it that way! I was expecting a sweeter taste but it will be perfect for toasting and spreading with jam. Thanks for posting!