Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This soft yellow bread is reminiscent of your favorite poppy seed muffin, but versatile enough to take you from breakfast to dessert. Spread it with Cheesy Lemon spread if you wish. Since I did not have dried lemon peel I left it out and I had just plain yogurt and to it I added a tsp. of lemon juice and left out lemon extract because I had none. I also used 2 tsp. fast rise yeast for the regular loaf. Very nice and fluffy bread.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 tablespoon dry milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup lemon yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, dried
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon fast rise yeast or 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup lemon yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, dried
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
CHEESY LEMON SPREAD
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
- 1 dash salt
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- FOR THE CHEESY LEMON SPREAD: In heavy pan mix eggs, juice, butter, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil while stirring over low heat, then cook 3 minutes more.
- Beat cream cheese and lemon peel in another bowl.
- When egg mixture is COOL, blend into cheese until smooth and store in refrigerator.
- Success Hints: Toast almonds lightly in a shallow pan. Stirring frequently, bake at 350 for five minutes or until golden brown. I just toasted mine in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
- For a luscious dessert bread, serve with the Cheesy Lemon spread.
- This recipe can be made with the regular and rapid bake cycles.
- Bread Electric.