Recipe by Ingy
This is a recipe that I saw prepared on the Food Network and have made it many times since. It is quick, easy and uses ingredients already on hand. Great for a mid-week or late night dinner.
- 8 slices bread, thick slices (French or Italian, stale bread works well)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you have on hand, provolone is a great choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- Chop bread into bite size pieces.
- Add olive oil, butter and garlic to the skillet.
- Melt butter into oil then add the bread.
- Season the bread with salt and pepper. Toss and cook the bread 7 to 8 minutes then add the tomato sauce and fresh tomatoes.
- Turn to coat and warm the tomato sauce, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the bread gnocchi and tomatoes from heat and transfer to a casserole dish, top with basil then cover the dish with cheese.
- Place the casserole under the broiler and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese browns and bubbles. Serve immediately.
- Sometimes I'll add some extra ingredients at the beginning depending on mood and what I have on hand. I made this with bacon and mushrooms last night.