Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe I cut years ago from a magazine and only recently found. Unfortunately I have yet to try it.
- 2 cups stale bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (from hearty French or Italian loaf)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 head garlic, peeled & smashed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup shredded manchego cheese
- Toss bread cubes in 1/2 tbp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & paprika; toss again. In a large nonstick skillet saute cubes over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, or until deep gold in color. Remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbp. olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and saute 4 minutes or until just golden. Add chicken stock; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add half the bread cubes, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top each with remaining bread cubes, and sprinkle with cheese.