Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A neat twist on a traditional pancake and a very thrifty way to use up stale bread. From the Mississippi Valley Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs, packed
- 1⁄2 cup water, boiling
- 3⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Soak bread crumbs in boiling water while assembling the other ingredients.
- Mix and sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Combine milk, melted butter and egg; stir into dry ingredients.
- Add moistened bread crumbs to the batter and drop by spoonfuls onto a hot, greased griddle; cook until underside is golden brown and top is full of bubbles.
- Turn and brown on other side.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup.