Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A neat twist on a traditional pancake and a very thrifty way to use up stale bread. From the Mississippi Valley Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Soak bread crumbs in boiling water while assembling the other ingredients.
- Mix and sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Combine milk, melted butter and egg; stir into dry ingredients.
- Add moistened bread crumbs to the batter and drop by spoonfuls onto a hot, greased griddle; cook until underside is golden brown and top is full of bubbles.
- Turn and brown on other side.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup.