Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
First made this when I came to NZ, thought the sound of a 'bread and butter' pudding was ridiculous, silly girl!!!
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup rum
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 14 slices white bread
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Soak sultanas and currants in the rum for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
- Fill a roasting pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the 1 quart baking dish you plan to use for the pudding.
- Place it in the oven.
- Butter the baking dish.
- Butter the bread.
- Cut into triangles and arrange in the dish, alternately with the fruit, until all are used.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale.
- Heat the milk to boiling point and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Add any remaining rum and the vanilla.
- Pour over the bread and let stand for 10 minutes to allow it to soak up the egg custard.
- Place the dish in the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes, or until the custard is just set.
- If the top browns too quickly, place tin foil over it to prevent burning.
- Serve warm with ice cream or cream.