Recipe by Kim A. Heaphy
This is a recipe my mother use to make many years ago. I would normally say that it was one of my favourites but all of Mom's pickles were amazing! Posting it here now that I have the recipe so that it is at easy reference when I want to make another batch! Preparation time does not include allowing the vegetables & salt time to sit.
- 12 medium cucumbers (English or field cucumbers)
- 5 medium onions
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Was cucumbers and peel inions. Cut both into 1/4 inch rings. Arrange in layers, sprinkling with salt on each layer. Let stand 2 to 3 hours. Drain.
- Combine remaining ingredients and heat to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add cucumbers and onions and allow to simmer 5 to 8 minutes. Pack into hot sterilized jars.