Prep 24 hrs
Cook 5 mins
I love these pickles for a snack.
- 12 large cucumbers
- 6 medium onions
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Wash, peel and slice cucumbers and onions.
- Cover them with the salt and let stand overnight.
- Bring vinegar and sugar to a boil.
- Sift together mustard, turmeric and cornstarch, mix with a little cold vinegar and add to vinegar and sugar.
- Drain cucumbers and onions.
- Put in vinegar solution and bring to a boil.
- Pack into sterilized pint jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
- Process in boiling water bath five minutes.