Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Here's a great way to serve soup!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water (105 F to115 F)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 1⁄2-7 1⁄2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- cooking spray
- Measure warm water into large bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast and stir until dissolved.
- Add salt, sugar, oil and 3 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place dough in bowl that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray.
- Turn once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about one hour.
- Grease the outside of 12 small custard cups or oven-proof bowls of similar size.
- Punch dough down and divide into 12 pieces.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Spread each piece into a circle about 6 inches in diameter.
- Place dough over outside of glass bowls, working it with hands until it fits.
- Set bowls, dough side up, on baking sheet that has been coated with non-stick spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Combine egg and milk and gently brush mixture on dough.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove bowls from the oven and remove glass bowls from bread bowls.
- Set bread bowls open side up on baking pan, return to oven and bake five minutes longer.
this recipe is perfect for my chicken corn chowder soup and my chili. everyone i served it to loved it! thank you!!
I would skip putting the egg milk mixture on the outside... it makes the bread too hard. Otherwise it turned out fine