Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made this many times for a Super Bowl get together. I serve the chili mixture in a medium crockpot to keep warm, serve the onions, sour cream, green peppers and cheese and whatever else you want to serve, on the side in large bowls, hollow out the buns, cover with plastic wrap and place the buns on a plate, and let everyone make their own "chili bowl"! The ingredients listed are just the basics to the chili recipe, of coarse you can add in other ingredients as desired. The amounts stated are good for up to 8 sandwiches, you double the recipe to serve more. The chili is best made a day ahead and refrigerated, just warm over the stove before serving.
Top Review by StikkiBake, NZ
This was VERY easy, I made it like the recipe but only used half (6 Buns) one night and then will use the other half for Nachos the next. tasted great! I dont think i put 3-4 teaspoons of Chili powder in though, it wasn't too hot, just nice. Thanks :)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt or 2 teaspoons use white salt
- black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste) (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix (I use Lipton's dry soup mix)
- 3 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 kaiser rolls
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- chopped green pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, sauté the beef with onions, garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper for about 10-15 minutes, or until the beef is browned; drain any fat.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, onion soup mix and chili powder; mix well to combine and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile from the top of the bun (do not cut in half) hollow out leaving about 1/2-inch bread all around, creating bowls (reserve excess bread for dunking in the sauce).
- Spoon the chili into the buns, allowing them to overflow slightly.
- Top sour cream, onions, peppers and cheese, or as desired.