Recipe by Jennifer Harrison
Serving the bread after the chili is served is a great way to add a delicious side dish.
For the Bread Bowl
- 1 loaf round bread (large)
For the Chili
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, diced
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chipped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a serrated knife, slice off about an inch from the top of the bread.
- Carve out a bowl from within the bread, leaving about 1 inch inside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Drain beef.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions;cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and chili powder; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add beef, tomatoes with liquid and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for 25 minutes, Add beans and corn; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Ladle chili into bread bowl and serve immediately.