Recipe by Chef PotPie
Here's something really different; crab salad made with bread! Everyone in my family loves this stuff. It's very rich, so for health reasons I don't make it very often. You can also use shrimp or a combination of crab and shrimp. The amount of butter is an estimate, and time doesn't reflect the overnight refrigeration. Let me know what you think!
Top Review by mom2zjkc
My mom used to make this years ago and it was only slightly different w/out swiss cheese. I tried making it without buttering the bread at all and omitting the swiss. It was awesome! I was afraid it would be dry but it was just fine. Everyone loved it again at a BBQ w/BBQ spareribs.
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off crusts of bread and discard or save for another use.
- Butter both sides.
- Cut each slice into 16 cubes and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day add Swiss cheese, celery, green onions, crab, and eggs.
- Gently stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until serving time.