Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From David Rosengarten. This is one of my favorites for Thanksgiving. I usually substitute dried cherries or cranberries for the raisins.
- 2 lbs white bread
- 1⁄2 lb whole wheat bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery
- 2 cups onions
- 1 cup tart apple, peeled & diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 30 sage leaves (I use less)
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup dark raisin
- Slice the bread and let it dry out overnight. (I use cookie racks). When dry, tear it into coarse pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add celery, onions, and apple. Sautee briefly.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Remove from heat and pour over bread.
- Stir in sage, thyme (removed from stems) and raisins.
- Roast in bird, or in a foil-covered roasting pan in the oven alongside your bird. If cooking in a pan, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes (more or less, depending on the temp at which your bird is roasting) of cooking to crisp up.
- As a guideline, at 375F, your stuffing in a pan should cook 15 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.