Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a sweet pickle - type squash. I have used this recipe this season, as has my Sister.
Make and share this Bread and Butter Squash pickles recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups cucumbers or 4 cups squash
- 4 cups squash
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 4 bell peppers (can be mixed red & green)
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Combine cukes, squash, onions& peppers and sprinkle with about 3 Tbls. of salt.
- Let set for 1 hour and then drain.
- Mix other ingredients and bring to a hard boil
- Add vegetables and bring to boil again.
- Fill jars & put in water bath for 10 minutes.
THIS RECIPE WAS WONDERFUL, AND IT WAS SO EASY TO PREPARE . GREAT!!!!
Used this for a weekend of canning and pickling. It was super easy and the sample we tasted was wonderful. Done one batch with just squash and onions the next batch was 3 different colors of bell peppers and the combo of squash and cucumbers all cut into chunks. Made very pretty jars! Thanks for posting. Will be using this for many years to come!!
This is my third batch of these b&b squash pickles. My children and parents keep eating them up! I chunked the vegetables, rather than sliced them. The only substitution I made was using 4 tsp. of pickling spices (mixed) instead of the separate 2 and 2 of mustard and celery seeds. They turned out slightly crisp, and fabulously delicious right after cooling, and we just can't stop eating them. Now THAT's a compliment about zucchini, yellow squash, and slightly oversized cucumbers cut into little chunks. Highly recommended.