Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
My father loves bread pudding and a rich whiskey sauce really adds to an already perfect dessert.
- 6 tablespoons sultanas
- 8 tablespoons butter, plus additional
- butter, for greasing
- 1 lb white bread, sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak sultanas in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Butter the bread.
- Remove crusts and cut into triangles.
- Arrange in a greased deep casserole dish along with raisins.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, cream, vanilla bean and sugar to just below a boil.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Add milk mixture to the eggs.
- Through a strainer, pour the egg-and-milk mixture onto the bread.
- Leave to soak.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook in a water bath in preheated oven, approximately 55 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 more minutes to allow top to crisp.
- To make the whiskey sauce: Boil the milk, then remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan, mix the sugar and egg yolks.
- Add egg mixture to milk and return to heat.
- Cook gently over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in whiskey.
- Serve warm.