Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Martha Stewart Living March 2001. Allowing bread to soak in custard batter for a full hour is the secret to a good bread-and-butter pudding.
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, 3 tablespoons sugar, and rum. Set aside.
- Spread the top of each slice of bread with generous amount of butter. Cut slices in half diagonally. In a 9-inch-round baking dish or cake pan, fan overlapping bread slices in one layer. (It is also fine for bread to overlap randomly.) Pour egg mixture over bread, and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Sprinkle pudding with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until puffed and golden brown, and pudding has set, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine strawberries with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand while pudding bakes. Serve strawberries with baked pudding.