Mandy from Oz requested her Choc Chip Bread & Butter Pudding & Butterscotch Sauce be made lighter so I took on the challenge. I not only cut the fat and sugar but added more flavor. Yum! I started with 1 serving of her recipe and worked off of that and made it 2 servings. I think this would be good with bananas tossed in orange juice mixed in it too! There are more ways to make it even lighter which I have offered below. You could also omit the sauce. ***Nutrition facts for Splenda brown sugar blend: 1/2 tsp= 10 calories and 2g sugars. So if you use all of it in this recipe that should bring the calories up to 386 per serving and the sugar to 20.5g per serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (optional) or 1 tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray (optional)
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices whole wheat sourdough bread
- 1 egg
- 1 -2 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk or 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 -2 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend (optional) or 1 teaspoon Splenda granular (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Cool Whip Lite, to top (optional)
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3Grease two 1-cup ramekins.
- 4Brush melted butter onto bread slices. Cut them into small cubes. Put aside.
- 5In a medium bowl, whisk egg and Splenda together until pale.
- 6Whisk in milk, extract, and zest until well combined.
- 7Stir in bread cubes and chocolate chips until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- 8Spoon into 2 prepared ramekins.
- 10Mix together brown sugar Splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 11Sprinkle over the pudding tops.
- 12Place pudding ramekins into a small baking dish filled halfway with hot water so that they are each surrounded by the water.
- 13Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- 14Butterscotch Sauce:.
- 15In a 2-cup glass pyrex, stir together brown sugar Splenda, salt, cream of tartar and cornstarch.
- 16Slowly stir in evaporated milk and put 1 tbsp of butter in it.
- 17Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- 18Stir in vanilla.
- 19Reheat if made ahead.
- 20To Serve:.
- 21Drizzle hot sauce over puddings.
- 22Top with a dollop of Cool Whip Lite, if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread and Butter Pudding With Butterscotch Sauce (Lighter)
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.4
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 547.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: