Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a Readers Digest cook book. I have been making this for so long and so often that I can make it with my eyes closed. It appears like a cross between a pudding and a custard. Fabulous!
- 5 slices bread
- butter, to apply to the bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Soak the raisins in the boiling water.
- Butter the bread slices and cut them diagonally.
- Arrange them in a baking dish (greased lightly or non stick).
- Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl.
- Bring the milk and sugar in a vessel to boiling point.
- When it reaches this point take off the fire and add the vanilla essence.
- Add the hot milk mixture slowly to the beaten egg.
- Stir continuously till the egg is incorporated and the mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the bread slices and in between them too.
- Pour the custard over the milk and put the baking dish into the hot oven.
- Bake for 25 mins or till tester comes out clean.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder over it when still hot.
- Serve hot or warm or even cold.
Mmmm this was amazing! It was the perfect sweetness, I doubled the recipe and copied it to o T and added about a cup of cream on top just to bring the level of liquid up. So good even my boyfriend who doesnt really like bread and butter pudding liked this! TY Girl from India
THis is the recipe that I have been looking for. Simple but perfect. Thank you!
This was just what I was looking for, just like my mother makes it (but I couldn't phone so late at night to ask her for her recipe!) Thanks for sharing.