Recipe by wizkid
This is one of my favourite puddings, and a favourite of many other people who try it.
Top Review by cooking_fan
this was soo awesome and soooo easy. I omitted raisins as my 6yr old refuses to eat them and i spread raspberry jam on the bread instead. turned out amazing. so smooth and yummy and sweet, just the way i like it!
- 10 slice stale bread (I often use french sticks and leave the crusts on)
- 85.04 g butter
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 113.39 g raisins or 113.39 g sultanas (or a mixture)
- 3 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 473.19 ml milk
- 118.29 ml cream
- 9.85 ml freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a large ovenproof casserole dish with some of the butter.
- Slice the bread and butter it.
- Place them in layers in the bowl, sprinkling the fruit on top of each layer.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Whisk the milk, cream, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Combine the eggs and the milk mixture.
- pour on top of the bread and fruit and leave to soak for about 2 hours, (until the bread is saturated). If there isn't enough liquid to cover the bread, add more milk and/or cream.
- Sprinkle the top with grated nutmeg.
- Bake in a medium oven for approximately 1 hour.
- The top should be golden brown, and the pudding will rise.