Recipe by Sedalia
A Traditional British Dessert. Lovely on a cold day or any time you fancy a treat. Got this recipe from the Great British Cookbook, although I have known this pudding all my life.
- 75 g butter
- 6 slices white bread
- 50 g dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon mixed peel, chopped
- 50 g light brown sugar (soft)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 600 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas 3.
- Butter a 1.1 litre (2 pint) oven-proof dish.
- Butter the bread, then cut off the crusts and cut the slices into triangles, squares or fingers.
- Arrange half the bread in the dish. Scatter over the dried fruit, mixed peel and half the sugar, then add the remaining bread.
- Beat together the eggs and milk, then pour into the dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until set and crisp on top.