Recipe by Kiwipom
This is one of the desserts that I grew up with. A great way to use up that bread no one will eat.
Top Review by Auntie Jan
This was good. I think the problem we had was the butter on the bread made it a little greasy. I think next time I make it, I will leave off the butter. When I do, I will come back and re-review. Thanks Kiwi!
- 4 ounces buttered white bread (thinly sliced)
- butter, to butter bread
- 3⁄4 pint hot milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 ounces raisins or 4 ounces sultanas
- 3 drops vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread into 4 triangles.
- Butter a pie dish that holds 1 1/2 pints liquid.
- Layer bread and dried fruit finishing with bread.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together.
- Pour in the hot milk and vanilla essence.
- Pour custard mix over bread layers and leave for 15 mins to allow the custard to soak into the bread.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 45 min or until the custard is set.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.