Recipe by Tara
A friend gave me this recipe and everyone who has tried them wants to take a jar home. Great on hot dogs with cream cheese (just try it).
- 3 quarts cucumbers (small-large okay)
- 3 cups thinly sliced small onion
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon alum or 1⁄4 teaspoon pickling lime (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice cucumbers and combine with onions, peppers, and salt.
- Cover and let sit 12 hours or add 2 trays of ice cubes and let set 3 hours.
- Drain well.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, tumeric, mustard seed, celery seed in large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add veggies and return to full boil.
- Pack in hot sterilized jars, add 1/4 tsp alum if you like to keep crispier.
- Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- I dont use alum and I buy Ball pickling Lime which I soak the cucumbers in for 12-24 hours before proceeding with the recipe.
- They are always crispier that way but bread and butter pickles are good soft too so dont worry about it if you prefer not to use lime or alum.