Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Just like the ones my Grandma used to make...
Make and share this Bread and Butter Pickles recipe from Food.com.
- Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to instructions.
- Wash cucumbers and remove 1/16 inch from blossom end.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices and measure 10 cups.
- Combine cucumber slices, onion slices, salt and water in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- In a 6- to 8 quart saucepan, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Drain vegetables; rinse; drain again.
- Add vegetables to vinegar mixture and return to a boil.
- Pack hot pickles and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula.
- Wipe jar rim clean.
- Place new lids on jars with sealing compound next to glass.
- Screw bands down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met- fingertip tight.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
Very tasty recipe. Easy to make and will make again. Thank You!!
Thanks for the recipe! This was my first attempt at canning and I really enjoyed it! I took some of the pickles into work and everyone at work was very impressed! Thanks again!
These really are incredible. I used half white sugar and half brown sugar (didn't have enough brown sugar) and they really are pretty much the best bread and butter pickles I've tasted. Thanks!