This was my husband's grandmother's recipe. It is so good. Store-bought pickles don't even come close. This is a good recipe for anyone who would like to try pickling, but hasn't done it before. It's quite straight forward, not a lot of ingredients.
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (For a weight, I use a plate with a gallon bottle of vinegar or water on top of it).
- Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- Add drained cucumbers.
- Place pot on medium low heat.
- Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Remove from heat.
- Seal in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Easy way to sterilize jars: Wash them well in hot soapy water.
- Dry them off.
- Put on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.