1/19 Photos of Bread and Butter Pickles
This was my husband's grandmother's recipe. It is so good. Store-bought pickles don't even come close. This is a good recipe for anyone who would like to try pickling, but hasn't done it before. It's quite straight forward, not a lot of ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl.
- 2Mix well.
- 3Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (For a weight, I use a plate with a gallon bottle of vinegar or water on top of it).
- 4Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- 5Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- 6Add drained cucumbers.
- 7Place pot on medium low heat.
- 8Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10Seal in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- 11Easy way to sterilize jars: Wash them well in hot soapy water.
- 12Dry them off.
- 13Put on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes.
- 14Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread and Butter Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (3188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 822.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9459.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 180.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g