1/19 Photos of Bread and Butter Pickles
This was my husband's grandmother's recipe. It is so good. Store-bought pickles don't even come close. This is a good recipe for anyone who would like to try pickling, but hasn't done it before. It's quite straight forward, not a lot of ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl.
- 2Mix well.
- 3Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (For a weight, I use a plate with a gallon bottle of vinegar or water on top of it).
- 4Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- 5Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- 6Add drained cucumbers.
- 7Place pot on medium low heat.
- 8Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10Seal in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- 11Easy way to sterilize jars: Wash them well in hot soapy water.
- 12Dry them off.
- 13Put on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes.
- 14Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bread and Butter Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (3188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 822.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9459.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 180.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g